– Vintage Tray –
I love making things and very often the urge to do something creative hits me hard. Of course, some of the projects are total disasters that no one will ever see, lol, and others, like this vintage tray, deserve to be shared.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
My projects have grown and changed as my tastes have. However, one thing that hasn’t changed is my love for DIY and I seriously doubt that it ever will!
How To Make This Tray
Here are the eight simple steps:
- First, decide the size you’d like. I went with 30cm x 43.7cm for the base and 6.8cm x 30cm for the side supports.
- Then, get your supplies.
- Laminated wood cut to your size for the base.
- Pine planks cut to your size for the side supports.
- Two handles and make sure there are screws with them that are long enough to reach through the thickness of the base and side supports combined.
- Wood Glue
- Sand Paper. Get a rough and a fine one to finish off.
- Steel Wool
- White Vinegar
3. Prepare your stain. It’s super easy, find out how to make this gorgeous wood stain here and next time you’re dying to do a DIY you’ll have the perfect stain to use! Check out this lovely protea wall art I made using the stain.
4. Sand the wood while your stain is processing.
5. Paint the base and side supports with your stain but don’t apply stain to the area where you will glue the side supports to the base. *Allow it to dry completely*
6. Then sand again, spray with up to four coats of sealer depending on the strength of the sealer, sanding in between coats to achieve a smooth, soft finish.
7. Gluing time! Apply the wood glue to both the base and side supports and then clamp them together to give the glue time to set. *Follow instructions on the glue container for best results.*
8. Now for the handles. Before you drill put masking tape over the area and with a soft pencil mark where you want the handles then drill away.
Voila! You Did It!
And congratulations! Eight simple steps later and a little hard work and you have your stunning tray ready to find a place in your home or be given as a gorgeous gift!
Let me know if you try out this DIY! I’d love to hear from you!