Delicious Green SmoothieJump to Recipe
A green smoothie is not something we’d normally try but one morning, on a sudden impulse, I decided we should! And since then we’ve had it for breakfast every day for over a week.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
The same thing for breakfast everyday for over a week? Yes, I did say that! Don’t get me wrong, we love variety. Normally we change things up on the menu but this green smoothie is just that good!!
So a green smoothie? What do they put in that, broccoli? Well no, thank goodness! But other things like spinach for instance.
I know spinach is not a favorite with many people. The words, “eat your spinach so that you can be strong like Popeye,” just popped into my head.
It’s hilarious, the things parents have to come up with to convince their kids to eat something that’s good for them! But the truth is, spinach does make you “strong.” It’s loaded with things your body needs!
This smoothie has so many health benefits!
First off, it’s only four ingredients.
Milk, yogurt, bananas, and spinach. All of which are packed full of wonderful health benefits! It’s such a great and easy breakfast to make, it literally takes five minutes!
Why It’s Good For You
Just so you don’t have to go and research the health benefits of each ingredient, here are a few quick facts so that you know just how good this smoothie is for you.
1. Bananas – contain several essential nutrients and provide benefits for digestion, heart health, and weight loss. They are a source of potassium, vitamin B6 and Vitamin C. I don’t want to make this too long by adding every benefit and there are many so if you’d like the more info, read this article from healthline.com.
2. Yogurt is pretty amazing but be careful to buy the sugar-free, unpasteurized, natural yogurt if you want all the health benefits. Greek yogurt is the best. So this yummy food contains probiotics which strengthen your immune system, help with digestion, reduce inflammation, and make you less likely to get sick.
Yogurt is high in protein and helps to curb your appetite which is beneficial for weight control. There are loads of other things that make yogurt good for you and if you want to know more, read this article from healthline.com.
3. Spinach is loaded with nutrients and antioxidants. It may help prevent cancer, reduce blood pressure, and is beneficial to eye health.
It’s an excellent source of vitamins and minerals and contains Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin K1, Folic acid, Iron, and Calcium! These are great for your skin, strengthen your immune system, aid in blood clotting, and help with healthy cell function. It really is a superfood! For all the benefits read this.
4. Milk, we all know is a great source of calcium which is good for your bones and teeth. It’s also a rich source of protein and contains Vitamin B12, Phosphorus, and Riboflavin. For all the other great things milk does for you read healthline.com’s article on the benefits of milk.
Five Minutes To Make It
I’m sure you’ll agree this easy breakfast idea is gold! The health benefits are incredible! And since it takes JUST five minutes to make, the no-time-to-be-healthy excuse is invalid.
Besides being so incredibly good for you it tastes smooth and sweet. I wouldn’t be surprised if fussy kiddies will LOVE it too! At least if they eat nothing else all day you can rest easy knowing they started their day with all the goodness of a green smoothie!
It’s also really filling so it keeps your tummy happy until lunch.
A wonderful fact – you can freeze bananas without them losing any of their goodness. This means you can always have some on hand. Just freeze them from fresh though. Don’t buy already frozen as the stores blanch them and through the blanching process the bananas lose some nutrients.
By the way, I am not a banana lover and neither is my husband but we love this green smoothie! So if you also don’t like bananas just give it a try anyway.
So you’re five minutes away from a delicious, healthy breakfast! Here’s the recipe. If you’d like to print it or save it for later click the download button below.
Tip – I use Lady Finger bananas. If you want to try them then use two per person as they’re much smaller. I’ve also tried normal and we definitely prefer the Lady Fingers.
Green SmoothieCourse: BreakfastDifficulty: Super Easy
2 – 3servings
A delicious easy breakfast combining just four ingredients to create the perfect vitamin-packed energy boost to start your day!
2 large ripe bananas (4 if you’re using lady fingers)
1/2 cup fat-free plain or greek yogurt (make sure to buy with live cultures for the probiotic boost!)
3 – 4 large leaves of spinach
1/4 cup of milk (long-life, fresh, or almond – add more or less depending on how thick you like your smoothie)
- Slice bananas and shred spinach.
- Place all ingredients into blender and blend until smooth.
- Serve and enjoy!
- *Can be made the night before, may brown slightly.